New Voting Options for the 2017-2018 Member-At-Large CalPERS Board of Administration Election
CalPERS has announced their new voting procedures for the 2017-2018 election in hopes of increasing voter participation. Retired members (excluding survivors and beneficiaries) whose effective date of retirement is on or before July 1, 2017 are eligible to vote in this election. All eligible members will be able to cast their vote for two member-at-large seats in one of three ways:
1. Online from your personal computer with an authentic personal identification number.
2. Call a toll-free into a secure, automated telephone system
3. Mail your paper ballot
All three voting options are convenient, secure and easy to use.
Candidates for the first seat – referred to as Position A on the ballot – are:
- Michael Flaherman, Bay Area Rapid Transit (retired)
- David Miller, California Department of Toxic Substance Control (active)
- Dr. Felton Williams, Long Beach Community College District (retired)
The candidates who filed for the other seat – referred to as Position B on the ballot – are:
- Wisam (Sam) Altowaiji, City of Redondo Beach (retired)
- Michael Bilbrey (incumbent), Citrus Community College (active)
- Margaret Brown, Garden Grove Unified School District (active)
- Bruce Jennings, Senate Rules Committee (retired)
All candidates have been certified by CalPERS.
CalPERS 2017 MEMBER-AT-LARGE ELECTION SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
March 27, 2017: Notice of Election mailed directly to retired members home addresses and electronically sent to employers for distribution to active members.
September 1, 2017: Ballots mailed directly to eligible active and retired members (excluding survivors and beneficiaries). Eligible voters will have the opportunity to submit their vote either online, by telephone, or by a paper ballot.
September 7, 2017: Candidate Forum: 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. in the CalPERS Auditorium.
September 8, 2017: Eligible active and retired members not receiving a ballot by this date should contact the customer service line for a replacement ballot at 1-888-492-4763.
October 2, 2017: Ballots are due. Certified election results will be posted on the CalPERS website
The newly elected Board Members term of office begins January 16, 2018, and ends January 15, 2022.
* All devices are welcome
* Candidate statements will be available via all voting options
* A separate call center number will be open 24/7 during the elections
For questions or general information regarding the 2017 Member-at-Large election, contact the CalPERS Board Election office at 1-800-794-2297 or visit: www.calpers.ca.gov/page/about/board/board-elections